Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Kind of Brownies


Ladies and gentlemen, may I present apricot-walnut-cocoa brownies. 

After the last batch of French-style brownies, I wanted something bolder, chewier, more, well, American. Recently, there's been a resurgence of chewy brownie recipes that try to mimic the texture of box mix brownies without the box. The recipe from Smitten Kitchen looked promising. I added a touch of Pierre Hermé by tossing 3/4 cup of chopped apricots into the mix, along with the 3/4 cup of walnuts. Ever since making his Linzer tart, I've been a huge fan of mixing fruit with chocolate - the acid cuts through chocolate's richness, and the fruit echoes floral notes in the chocolate. Okay, it just makes the dessert so much more interesting and balanced, very good compliments in my book.

The batter was a cinch to whip up, and you can do it all in one pan (a very welcoming change after making buttercream and jaconde for opera cake).

No comments:

Post a Comment